If you’re noticing your water level dropping faster than usual, it’s a good idea to check if its due to evaporation or a leak.
The first thing you should do is what they call a ‘’Bucket Test”.
How to do the Bucket Test:
- Fill a bucket with pool water, about 3cm from the top.
- Put the bucket on the first step of your pool.
- Turn off your pool pump.
- Using a permanent marker or pieces of waterproof tape, mark the water levels both inside and outside of the bucket.
- Turn your pool pump back on.
- Wait 24 hours, and compare the water levels.
If the water level on the outside of the bucket has gone down more than the level on the inside, it’s likely you have a leak.
If the water level on the inside of the bucket has gone down by around the same rate, then your water loss is caused by evaporation. This can be resolved by using a pool cover.